View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Default The joy of software amp/effects modeling

I've long been inconsistent with how I approach guitar, particularly electric guitar, sound modification. I've spend a lot of time playing guitar>amp>chord and I've also spent time with two mod treadles (such as a wah and volume) and effects in between.

But for recording really extreme stuff I'm increasingly turning to effects and amp modeling software. It's just practically simpler while offering more options.

The routing is less complicated

What you can control with mod treadles is more flexible

Time based effects sync'ed to beat divisions? Just click.

Change your mind? Just modify the tracks effects after you played them and see if you're right. A lot easier than trying to de-reverb or de-distort a track printed from external effect. Where's the button for that?

Cheap! Even just what is just included in Apple Logic for example could keep me exploring till the cows come home. Logic Pro X costs less than one boutique pedal. (Yes, I know cool hardware is still cool, but practicalities...)

Don't have room or neighbors or earplugs for a 4x12 stack and a dimed 100 watt amp--or maybe you do, but don't need it often? Equipment rental? Attenuator box? Or just select a close enough approximation from a menu. Yes, I know it doesn't feel the same (why aren't my pants legs flapping?) but practicalities....

I can see as a practical matter performer might want to use their stage setups while recording because of familiarity or to make it easy to reproduce live, but for what I do this isn't much of a factor. Similarly I can imagine professional studio guys may have a level of trust and familiarity with favorite "real" rack effects. It works, it's paid for. It'll never be made obsolete by some OS or DAW upgrade.

I still have stuff from my pedals and rack mount effects days still, but I don't think I've used any physical time-based or filter effects (other than a "real" wah for old times sake, and rarely) in the past year or two. Real amps, real gain-based effects, yes, but not time and filter based effects.

My point? It's not just a golden age for guitar quality at any price point, it's a golden age for recording effects needs.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....