View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Describing tone in words is difficult, and even more difficult is for the other person to interpret your words in a way that the tone you are describing is the same as the tone they are envisioning: we have no common understanding of our descriptions of tone.

When I was in the process of commissioning a build with Alan Carruth we had several exchanges of information regarding the tone I desired. However, the most useful thing was when Alan sent me one of his demo guitars to try. From that point on we used the demo guitars tone as a reference point. I told him what I liked, and what I would like changed, of that guitar's tone. This was much more useful, again because we had a common reference point. Have you had access to one or more wood combinations in a Lowden jumbo that you have played? If so, maybe you could explain to Lowden what you liked in that guitar(s) as well as what you would like to be different.
Hi Chuck, I live in Singapore, access to such guitars is quite difficult. The only Jumbo Lowdens available here in Singapore is an O22 (Cedar Mahogany), O32 (Sitka EIR) and a Thomas Leeb Signature (Sitka Walnut). The TLS had old strings on it so any conclusions drawn from that particular guitar isn't too accurate. Given 2 different tops and 2 different B&S, I couldn't decide whether it was the tops I preferred or the B&S.

From what I could recall, the O32 was really nice in standard tuning and DADGAD while the O22 lacked quite a bit in standard tuning but was MAGICAL in dropped tunings. Now I'm not too sure if this was due to the top or B&S. My best guess is that the O22 sounded better in dropped tunings was because it had a Cedar top which was more open sounding while the O32 had a tighter Sitka top and possibly the same reason why the O32 sounded better in standard tuning as well. But like I said, it is really hard to draw any conclusions with just 2 guitars...which is why I am resorting to you guys ><