View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
I have been playing with various jam groups over the years, some small and informai, others open to the public. Now I dont know how this fits in with the way you think but I share the following. I like to introduce uncommon songs that are easy to play that may have been hits before but appear to be forgotten. I have noticed over the years when I introduce a new song to a group, someone in the group sometimes, but rarely, will play and perform the same song at the next jam we meet.

Now I have always taken the position when I hear a song I like from a jam group, I may learn it and perform other places but I dont do it in front of the group with the person who introduced me to the song the prior week. I do that because he might want to perform it.

That makes sense. Good etiquette. Some people at jams only know a few songs and just play them over and over. As long as they make it sound good, it's fun.

Quote:
I just feel like I am stealing the guys idea, although I know its just a cover song and nobody owns any rights except the songwriter.
Yup. I don't mind stealing songs (all artists are thieves), but I don't want to steal another player's thunder.

Quote:
Years ago I was in a small jam group that starting doing gigs. I was one of 2 lead singers. When jamming sometimes I would introduce a new song to the group for maybe future performance. Sometimes the next week, the other lead singer would take the song, maybe change the key, and decide he would perform it with the groups back up with no discussion about it all. Is there something wrong there or am I being too sensitive.
No, you're not. Getting tunes hijacked is annoying, to say the least. One of the reasons I quit a band last year was that when I didn't play a song like the record, the band leader would just take it over to do it the "right" way. Boring!

Quote:
Now I know, I do it myself, when I hear a nice song at an open mic, or jam I will learn it and perform it other places. I know that.
Sure, we all do that. But whether it's a jam group or a band, we should each be able to play the songs we bring in.

I play with a guy who likes my originals enough that he likes playing some of them himself, and since he's a good singer, I like it when he does. But he always asks first.