View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

So I thought I would share some pictures with the raw, unsanded woods that will make up the guitar. First off you see the Mastergrade Swiss alpine spruce top. It looks good even in its unsanded, unfinished form.

There is hardly any discoloration, and the grain lines are very tight. This is a very stiff top, allowing me to make the top even thinner and more responsive. Also, look at the crossgrain silking. It's perfectly quartersawn with hardly any run out. I am very excited about this top!

The Brazilian Rosewood is even more unique. This is my private stash wood. It's been more than 40 years since it was imported and has been drying ever since, waiting on that special project. This it it!

It is straight-grained, quarter-sawn, in a quality that is no longer available. It is really irreplaceable. From all the sets I've owned and I've tapped, this one has the most sustain in the tap tone. People think that the note coming out is most important, but depending on the dimensions of the woods, that will change. It is the sustain you have to listen for.

The neck wood is just as special. Also 40 years old, probably from the same tree. I am a fan of the 5 piece neck, like Olson uses. The construction is very stiff and most stable. Also, it adds sustain which is important in a nylon stringed guitar. I tapped all the pieces until I found one that rung out the longest, clearest and loudest. Won’t hurt right? :-D

Here is the Swiss spruce for the sides. It looks good enough to be a top, so I’m very happy with the quality there.

And finally, here are the billets that will be turned into the bracing. Also high grade Swiss Spruce. Perfectly quartered.

Hard to believe that these pieces of wood will be my dream guitar in about six months.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter

Last edited by Joost Assink; 02-27-2013 at 09:58 AM.