View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Well, after a bunch of words (above), I'll try to cut to the chase:

Tom Rein builds as good of a guitar as anyone reviewed or posting here on the forum, and as good as anything I've played, period. He is easily placed (in my mind) as worthy of any and all of the respect that the top-builders have in our community...because he *is* one of those top-builders.

There is a lot to like, both tone and aesthetics-wise, IMO. Full, defined bass, along with pure, round but bitingly-direct trebles are just one place to start. Certainly completely balanced across/up-and-down the fingerboard.

With his classical heritage, Tom presents a bit of a classical aesthetic as applied to the steel-string world, and the result is a modern look, with a nod to the roots of both classical and steel-string instruments.

The workmanship/wood-artistry is second to none, and I have already spent enough time with his neck-adjustment process to conclude that I wish every guitar I have ever owned was built with this feature. No more saddle adjustments (seasonal changes, or in adding a pick-up, for instance), and along with the stiffness/stability of his double-sides building process, never, ever having to think about a neck reset.
Being both an admirer of your playing and an unabashed fan of Tom's work, it is incredibly satisfying to read this Larry. I've tried to sing Tom's praises for some time now but your words have much more clout (deservedly so).

Congratulations and enjoy the guitar. It's very cool to know that we have similar guitars. (my rjn-5 is lutz spruce and malaysian blackwood)

Last edited by vpolineni; 12-08-2017 at 12:31 AM.