View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetmonk View Post
And one more thing, unlike wood, you can't tell one apart. As in, people who love HOG buy guitars with HOG wood for the sound and people who love Braz., Koa, EIR, Maple, Etc, go for that wood for that sound. Same as in top wood, Cedar, Engel, Sitka, Adirondack, Italian, Etc,. But if Plastic guitars all sound the same then you leave the buyer with no choice. The shapes might be different but the sound is all the same. Talk about mass production, reminds me of "Soylent Green". I know it sounds like I'm putting it down but I'm really trying not too. I don't think Composite guitars are going to be the wave of the future but alternative woods will be. Rainsong guitars started out here in Hawaii and never really caught on.
P.S. I guess i really am a Wood snob and have to deal with it. So i ask for your forgiveness to those i might have offended.
Totally agree about people going after certain woods for "that" sound. I think that is true for materials other than wood, as well. After many wodd combos, the one that got me with "that" sound was a CA.

As different companies build composite guitars, different voices will come out. Bracing (or lack thereof) and different shapes, thicknesses, and densities will provide plenty of variation. Especially as mew materials become available.

To say (in essence) that they are plastic and all sound the same is kind of inaccurate, but definitely a valid opinion. Do all EI rosewood and sitka spruce guitars sound the same? Even if made by the same company? Even if it's the same model? From the same tree, even? Nope. Some love that variation, while others don't.

I'm a purist when it comes to my tone. My tone (the one that I've been hearing in my head for years) is available to me in "real life" in a CA guitar. Pure? How's knowing that I can order another GX Player as a back up in two years and it will be as close to identical in tone as you can get to the one I have on order now. If I want variation, I can find it in different bracing patterns with different voicings, or look to other brands of composite guitars.

I know people who own multpile rosewood/sitka Martins. The difference in tone is in the bracing and wodd thicknesses. The difference in feel may come from the neck and it's profile/nut width. They just like rosewood and sitka and have a refined enough ear to hear the subtle differences in tone between the models by the same maker. Just like I can hear the tonal differences in even a GX Player versus a GX Performer (different pracing patterns).

But, no offense taken at all. I'm a carbon snob, so I guess we're even!

FWIW, I think Rainsongs are awful and sound like a thin, blurry mess when strummed.