View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand View Post
I asked about the passive ones and this was the reply: "The typical rule of thumb with DI boxes is if you have a passive/low output source it will pair best with an active DI. On the contrary, if you have an active/hot output device it will pair best with a passive DI. Acoustic guitars are an exception. We always recommend an active DI for acoustic guitars with magnetic pickups and/or preamp systems. The reasoning for this is that players tend to find it adds an ‘airy’ quality to their sound. In other words, it really brings your guitar to life."

But at end like Cloudyafternoon mentioned "any variety will work"
Interestingly enough, I went back and tried out my guitar with a ProDI and an SB-1 again. I still tend to prefer the sound of a passive transformer, but I like a mellow sound.

Interestingly enough, though, an active DI does cure one (possible) problem - input gain settings.

With the ProDI, my gain on a mixing console is typically at 1-2 o'clock, and my gain if recording using a Focusrite Scarlett is at 3 o'clock.

With the SB-1, my gain on the Scarlett is reduced to 11-12 o'clock. I haven't tried it on a mixing console, maybe I will today or tomorrow.

My question for AGF members who also run sound is, is there a clear benefit from a pro audio standpoint to getting your gain earlier in the chain (SB-1 or other active DI), versus getting your gain at the mixer pre?