View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Default Stephen Kinnaird SJ BRW/Italian Spruce build just for me!

Hello. I started a thread a few months ago regarding an upcoming build looking for rosette ideas. The time has come and after about a 6 month wait, the guitar has begun. I have been discussing with Steve the particulars now over that time period and he has been great in guiding me through the process. I know that I have probably been a pain to work with as sometimes I hate myself!!! Through it all he has been patient and kind. I have great hopes for this guitar and trust Steve and Ryan to pull not only a beautiful looker but beautiful sounder as well out of this one. Describing sound is so hard for me, but I told him I wanted a strong bass (he said "SJ"), I also want sustain that goes on forever with wonderful overtones. That is about it for marching orders.

Here are the specs:

Model: Kinnaird SJ (25.4" scale)
Nut: 1 3/4"
Pin Spacing: 2 1/4 inch
Top: Italian Spruce, master grade
Back/Sides: BRW
Rosette: TBD yet, but most likely Koa with abalone rings in some variation or another.
Bindings: Koa
Purfling: Radial wood with b/w/b, species yet to be determined.
Neck: One of my favorite features on Steve's guitars: Mahog/b/maple/rosewood/maple/b/mahogany. These are so beautiful when done.
Headstock overlay: BRW, Steve found a really cool piece "laying around"
Tuners: Alessi tuners with wood pegs and gear inlay
Fretboard: Ebony
Bridge: BRW

Other features include a Ryan style arm bevel trimmed in Koa and plus or minus a sound port. I have not made up my mind on that one yet.

Thanks, I am very excited and will post some pics soon. I have to learn yet how to do that.

Tom