View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
Subject came up in a beginners group I have been working with. We know that when we see Em/F# for example it means play an Em chord with a F# bass note. I don’t think “inversion” covers it because I sometimes see notes that are not in the listed chord. Anybody know of a more precise name than slash chord?

Thanks.
Hi ssjk

In classical theory a slash chord is referred to as Figured Bass.

And it can be used with roman numerals or in Nashville Numbering they are altered to add symbols figured bass doesn't include (for major and minor chords) and as musical shorthand (both are that).

Here are three examples…
A passage labeled in figured bass then the second example where the figured bass spells out the chords which are written (indicates the specific bass and inversion of each chord)

This passage is similar to above, without accidental flats/sharps added

A final example of just bass and the figured bass notation indicating which inversions to use (you can build the entire chord from the figured bass descriptions). Accidentals were added to the figured bass symbol, not indicated on the staff…

For modern casual usage (outside of classical composition or arranging, and perhaps playing in a jazz group) it is unnecessary to learn figured bass, and Nashville numbering, or slash chords added to Chord notation are more than adequate to produce the desired results.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-07-2019 at 01:25 PM.