View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 07:49 PM

I haven't noticed anything that I can recall on Epi's website saying these are re-issues.

A re-issue would be a more-or-less faithful re-creation of the original design, which these are not by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, Epi is using "re-invention of the archtop" as a descriptor. They obviously feel that it's necessary to do a few "improvements" in the new "re-invented" models to attract a sufficient market.

Possibly so, but I'd be more inclined to purchase one that was more in keeping with the archival designs that these are patterned (loosely) after. Don't make me go along with whatever a team of "value-added" engineers and designers come up with as "improvements" that are obviously based on economics.

The basic guitars look OK, although I could do with a less-garish headstock decal theme. I'd be perfectly satisfied if they invested the dollars in less flash and window dressing in a solid but basic guitar. Maybe it is, but it's hard to get past all the c**p that's meant to appeal to their target audience.

That, my friends, is a crying shame.