View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

I bought my first carbon fiber guitar this summer, a Rainsong Shorty SGFLE. I love the size, the sound, and the feel. I also appreciate the looks - this is the limited edition from Ted and staff at LA Guitar Sales.

This guitar has a beautiful voice, and adds another dimension. I considered CF because of our traveling lifestyle; we divide our time between a small house on the Gulf Coast and traveling by boat and RV.

I also have several Taylors - the 814ce with a tobacco sunburst finish, the curly maple binding... that guitar makes me smile every time I look at it (and play it, of course).

For those who talk about "the natural look of wood"... I have been a pretty avid woodworker over the years... the grain is all Mother Nature; bringing out that beauty, matching/combining woods, shaping it - this is all by the hands of man. There is beauty in a landscape, and there is beauty in architecture; many of us appreciate both. I feel the same way about a beautifully crafted guitar, wood or carbon fiber.

I picked the Shorty because of the size and ease of care. I keep it because it sounds and plays so nice!

Why aren't there more CF guitars "out there"? Even non-guitar people know Taylor, Martin, and Gibson... at one guitar shop I visited last spring, I had to spell "Rainsong" to the guitar salesman so he could look it up. CF isn't inexpensive. Guitar shops stock what they believe they can sell. You can't just walk into most shops and find a selection of carbon fiber to allow a good comparison (LA Guitar Sales and MacNichol Guitars are the exception).

Playing out with the Rainsong, I have received only compliments about the sound. I have mentioned the fact that it is carbon fiber, and that brings some folks up afterwards to see it closer. I think the interest will continue to grow.

Captain Jim