View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 04:45 PM

The Martin 00-21 from that era is one of their lesser-known but greatest guitar designs of all time. It’s got a 12th fret body join, which means the notes above the octave are that much more difficult to reach, but that additional amount of body cavity gives the 00-21 a remarkably powerful and projective voice. It’s got far more bass response than most players would expect, and it’s a lot louder than you might expect, as well. I’ve owned a couple of them, and am looking for another.

The main drawback of the 00-21 for me was the wide 1 7/8” nut. I flat out dislike slotted headstocks, too, even though some players would consider that to be a benefit. Then there’s the slightly restricted access up above the octave that I already mentioned.

So those are the disadvantages of the 12 fret 00-21, the extra wide fretboard being the one that I like the least. But the advantages are musically impressive, in my opinion, and for me outweigh the annoyances of the nut width and slotted headstock.

In any event, you and he should definitely go play the guitar that’s for sale and get your own impressions of it. But the 12 fret 00-21 is one of the greatest unsung Martin models that there is.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller