View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimesGrimes View Post
Hey guys, sorry to jump back in the thread like this, but I've got a question with the head block.
The plans that im using at the moment don't have any sort of fretboard extension piece on the headblock.

Are the necessary? I don't see them on every build thread. I'm guessing their purpose is to keep the fretboard from warping or cracking the soundboard beween the neck and soundhole?

I ask because i've already glued in my headblock without the extension?
If necessary what are my options at this point? Cut an inch or so out of my current headblock and add in an extension? Can I add it onto my soundblock as is?

Other than that this build is great. Can't wait to see the finished guitar.
Hi GrimesGrimes
Well let me give you my opinions on the neck block and explain why I installed it as I did. I'm clearly not the authority here but i'm starting to understand some of the concepts involved.
I think you actually don't 'need' that extension, many guitars do not have that and it doesn't cause them problems. As Charles also mentioned in his reply, there usually does need to be some kind of reinforcement in that area, either using an additional brace, or a patch, or something to that effect. The extended neck block pretty much incorporates this job into its own. The extended neck block would be heavier than an additional brace or soundboard patch etc.

There are 3 reasons why I used an extended neck block on this build
1) The bolt-on/bolt-off neck joint I used requires it. The neck extension that runs under the fretboard requires this extended horizontal block for it to sit in and to be bolted through.
2) it does exactly what I just suggested above, it incorporates that reinforcement into the one thing. I like to try and simplify things (if i can!!! I often go the other way in the process of trying to simplify!)
3) I have a feeling (it may be complete nonsense) that the fact that the neckblock extends along and under the soundboard further and is glued to the soundboard will slightly reduce the amount of torque produced by the strings on the neck/body joint pivot-point and that reduced torque 'may' help keep the neck angle set as I originally intended it for longer.