View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
HI Glenn!!! Timeless indeed!! Do they even write such great songs like that anymore?
Just.......WOW! Wonderful production...you've a got a great band going on there!!!
Enjoy your day,
Fred
Hi Fred!

Thanks for your thoughts and comments! I certainly find this song very likable! Somebody is probably writing songs like this somewhere, but I'm not aware of their music.

The Everly Brothers came along in the late 50s and early 60s when early rock'n roll music was at its infancy. The music is more innocent, fairly basic in terms of complexity, especially in comparison to the best of the sophisticated American Songbook era of the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

I read an interesting book called "The B Side" recently about the shift in music that took place at this time. There was a lot of hand wringing from the best of the songwriters about how horrible the "kids' music" was, but nobody put the Everly Brothers in the horrible category. They really influenced so many famous bands to come, like the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, the Byrds, etc.

The Everly Brothers' harmony was fairly simple, based mostly on diatonic thirds. But because they were brothers with exceptionally good pitch (and it always helps to be young), they really had a pristine sound in their blended voices.

I really think they had a magic sound.

- Glenn