Thread: Zoom f6 review
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
I’m thinking of using it to record two mics and one guitar pickup input at the same time for fingerstyle - Guess it’s kind of overkill.
Something like the H6 accepts active guitar pickups direct ?
I always used a DI with my H6. The manual is a little unclear, but the gist is that it expects line level in the 1/4" (says TRS, which means balanced, but clearly most instruments only have an unbalanced, TS, plug). Use a DI and connect with a mic cable is what I do/did.

Manual (excerpt from p. 10, italics mine):
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...Manual_0_1.pdf

Connecting mics/other devices to Inputs 1–4
In addition to the input (L/R) from an XY or MS mic, the also has Inputs 1–4.
These can be used together to record up to six tracks at one time.
Mics, instruments and other equipment can be connected to Inputs 1–4 and recorded independently to tracks 1–4.
Connecting instruments/other devices
Connect keyboards and mixers directly to the Input 1–4 TRS jacks.
Direct input of passive guitars and basses is not supported.
Connect these instruments through a mixer or effects device, for example.
Set the PAD switch to −20 when connecting a mixer or other device with a standard output level of +4dB
P.S. You could get an interface with 4 mic pre's, a couple of which would be switchable for INST input, and record direct to the computer. The Zoom's strength is being able to record anywhere. If you're going to be recording at home, it's not the most direct route, IMO.