View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 PM

[/size][/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I've noticed that some folks who can afford it, will buy the most expensive product they can find, then downplay everything else to those of us who can't afford what they have. It's true with guitars, amps, pickups, cars and just about everything else. I believe, in their minds, it puts them on a higher plateau than the rest of the the great unwashed and they get off on it. Personally, I've used both K&K and JJB and never used a preamp with either and can hear no discernible difference between them - they both sound just fine. Does that make my ears not on a par with someone else's? I guess that's another point to argue. The JJB costs about forty bucks or so delivered and you can install it yourself in 20 minutes - it's not rocket surgery, folks.
I'm sorry you felt that way Skip. I think if you re-read the earlier posts you'll find no references to the great unwashed - or anything like that.

I'm a retired music teacher, so I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for hanging with the rich.

For me it's a question of if the gamble is worth $50, and to me it is not. Larry can hear the difference, so it's not to him either. That doesn't mean I light cigars with $50 bills, it just means the sound of my guitar is not worth that particular gamble when the payoff is $50. It's a risk/reward thing for me.

And I agree 100% that if you don't have the $50 to play with it's a different decision. But I clearly didn't say that it was a bad gamble for everyone - just for me. Isn't that what we do here?

But I am on record as often saying that nobody should pay for sound they don't hear. If you don't hear a difference don't pay a difference.

I like rocket surgery. I say it's not golf (because people can learn rocket science).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo