View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
Summary, I like most music. I am willing to give things a try.

Don't like rap. I consider it an an art form but not music.
Don't like most Hip Hop. Don't like oompa polka music. Technopop.

No offense to anybody that does like these.

This is pretty much where I am, but I'd add "cookie-monster metal"!!! Not my thing.

I struggle to find enjoyment if the vocals aren't pleasing to my ear and that is certainly subjective for the listener. But I like to think I'm open minded enough to get past that if the music still somehow moves me. An example is Tom Petty. For years, I wasn't really a fan, but eventually after playing his music in bands, grew to really appreciate how good the songs and the sound of his band was. I'm now a fan!

Alternatively, there are vocalists who have voices I enjoy so much that they could sing about anything and I'd find joy listening.

As I think about it, another style that just doesn't resonate with me is what I consider intentionally complex music that seems complicated for the sake of being complicated. That could be hard core jazz, some prog rock, etc that to me, is just not enjoyable to try to digest. I'm mainly referring to odd time signatures that to my ear, just don't flow or groove. I like to be able to tap my foot and relax and enjoy. When some venture into a place where I'm struggling to find a beat it sometimes just isn't pleasing to me. A lot of Rush and Yes falls into that category. I appreciate the skill, but it doesn't move me. Both of those groups have put out music I enjoy. But some just goes into territory I don't enjoy.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page