View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 10:30 AM

I never been all that gregarious - certainly I did more socializing when I was younger, but even then I sought out a lot of alone time. Whether I was heading off to go fishing or hunting, I was always getting away from other people whenever I got a chance.

Luckily, my wife is much the same. We get along fine - both being introverts - and we spend most of our time together, both of us working together out of our home to run the small business we own.

We do get some in socializing in a wider circle during the camping season. We own a 39' RV which is set up on a permanent site in a campground on a major river which is about a 40 minute drive from our home. Weekends there are party central - if we care to join in. But there are a core group of friends I have there that are "seasonals" like my wife and I, and over the years we've developed relationships that are strong enough that we keep in touch somewhat throughout the year.

But even there at the campground, I can only socialize so long before I want to be on my own again. So I'll head off onto the water in one of my canoes, or kayaks, or rowing skiffs, or my sailboat. The camper also serves well as a place for me to get away from my wife ... seriously, this is important for me no matter how strong our relationship is.

I have noticed that it's not harder for me to make friends at my age (60) but certainly I don't feel the same desire to do so as I did when I was 25.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 02-14-2018 at 10:37 AM.