View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I do the same, but use 1/16" rather than .8 mm. I do that after the fingerboard and neck are attached to the body. I remove what I don't want with a hand plane, then follow it up with 80 grit sandpaper glued to an aluminum beam level. I then sand progressively to 600 using a sanding block backing.
My "apartment shop" technique is pretty similar, and actually the way I started out doing. Take a tapered blank, mark 1/16" down from the top, and plane facets on the top. Then take the plane and create facets from the two peaks, creating 5 facets. Subsequent removal of facets leaves a nicely radiused board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123
Am I right in thinking that doing it this way, there is one, and only one end radius which satisfies these conditions for any given nut width, end width, and nut radius ? ie if you start off with a given radius at the nut, then the radius at the end is predetermined ?
The end radius in this case is determined by the width of the board, and the rise of the center of the board relative to the edge, so I that sense, you've predetermined the radius by design