View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Jim, since you started this thread and take it off topic, I assume I can do it too? I enjoy the photos and info about Maine, it's on our list to visit this next year. Also, can you give me a web site or name of the bikes you are riding? Thanks!
Well, the thread kinda revolves around "wandering around," so feel free to do so.

The bikes are SSR Trail Vipers.

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/...trailviper.php

We bought ours from a motorcycle dealer (SSR is the importer) in Phoenix, Ride Now in Peoria. I had ridden one at a street fair in California, so we knew what we were looking for. The fat tires are good on trailers, sand, and gravel. The e-bike part of it can be pedal-assist or twist the throttle (like a scooter). We have not run into any bike paths or trails where they are not allowed.

Pretty heavy at 55 pounds, but the best part (for us): they are folders. We can carry both of them in the back of our Honda CR-V. About 30 seconds to unfold and be ready to ride... OK, it takes a bit longer than that to strap them down in the back of the CR-V, but still easy enough that we can be serendipitous about using them... see an interesting place to ride, park, and unload.

The manufacturer says the range is 25 miles - that will depend on how much pedal assist (allows you to go faster with the same pedal effort), terrain, and weight. I weigh a pound or fifty more than the Blonde - she gets better range. I ride more often than she does, so my battery has had more use. Typically, we see between 20 and 25 miles is pretty accurate. The bikes are 6 speed Shimano (gears) with 5 levels of pedal assist. Maximum speed is listed as 20 mph, I've had mine to 25 going downhill. On the level, with full pedal assist, I have seen 20 a couple of times, but it isn't pleasant. The bikes are comfortable; the seat post has about 1/8 of an inch of "suspension" (i.e. not much) but there is flex due to the fat tires. Disc brakes front and rear. Aluminum alloy frame (still a beast).

350w 36v electric motor in the rear hub. Newer e-bikes have 500w and 750w motors. About 4 hours for a full recharge.

We have been enjoying them; had them a year and a half now. No issues other than a broken brake lever, when one of us whose name I won't mention, but it was me, dropped the bike.

That should get you started.