View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Relaxed left hand

Friends, I am just about three years into my guitar life, and have been working on fingerstyle for about four months. It has really transformed the playing experience for me in challenging but satisfying ways.

One issue I have is stiff hands/fingers. Meaning, sometimes the fingers feel like the Tin Man's, in need of a good oiling. I do have some arthritis in them, which surely does not help. But I think the most immediate issue is that I unintentionally tense the fingers as I am going through a passage that is difficult for me, or when I am just trying to make my way through a piece without screwing up.

A perfect example is the pinky/ring finger spread on the two E strings when reaching for a G chord. I can make the reach without difficulty if just doing it outside the context of a song - say just running through chords. But put it in the context of a song, and I just feel fingers tense up and casue me to miss the transition, or I end up switching to an alternate fingering as a crutch - which triggers more tension.

Before I play, I do stretches and warm up stuff. so physiologically it is not really an issue. What is an issue is trying to keep the left hand relaxed when I am not feeling particularly relaxed.

Thanks for any help.
David