View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Why do you think LD mics have more limited dynamic range?
This is a brand new concept for me..one that I learned just last night..from an article.
And I am not saying it is correct and true..what I am saying is that I may have been thinking of things in different terms before.
In the past..I always thought that small capsule mics had quicker transcient response times. As that is how I was always taught..and that is how it sounds...
And that make some logical sense...thinking that it is much easier to move a small capsule over a larger diaphram...
According to this article
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/Websit...Diaphragm.aspx
At the very bottom you will see a chart that says the large diaphram has lower dynamic range..IF I am reading this correctly...ha ha..you will probably set me straight..ha ha..
So maybe...just maybe all these years what I thought I was hearing as faster transients..might actually be a greater dynamic range.
So I openly admit...that I may have this wrong...lots of speculation here...I am learning my friend...but that is what the chart leads me to believe.
Merely trading dynamic for transients..While it does not say this..this is what I am assuming is happening.
Words are so hard..and I often speak one word meaning something else.