View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi RG

Sure I suspect the 2035 has less self noise, and depending on the project and the rest of the gear you use, it might make a difference.

I still like the Behringer B2-Pro for an all-purpose, low cost, large diaphragm multi pattern mic. A client brought one to my studio once and asked for an opinion. After using it to record some 'stuff' and comparing it to my AKG 414, it was a decent little mic, and perfectly suited for a home studio.

It's not an AKG 414, or high end mic, but it it a decent, and low cost alternative for people who are experimenting and learning home recording.

I started with less expensive gear and grew into a studio (much more expensive mics and preamps). I still have a fond spot in my heart for the less expensive mics and preamps, which I passed on recently to a person who conducts blues workshops in a women's prison.

Here is a YouTube comparison of the AT-2020 vs Behringer B2 Pro.

It seems fair as far as it goes. Best to listen on a better system or good phones. It's obvious the full 1" dual diaphragm (25.5mm versus the 16mm of AT-2020) will produce a much more solid low end. What the test doesn't include is all the switchable patterns. They are a bonus for sure. And the kit version for $150 includes a carrying case, a mic suspension mount, foam windscreen, and sometimes ear-buds.

Thanks for the heads up on the Behringer B2-Pro, it looks to me like it's an FC3 relabeled at a little better price. I do like the option of different patterns as an option. I'm still considering mics, but this looks like a good consideration.

In the meantime, I recently got a Zoom R8 to play with. It was $200 in New condition, seemed like something worth picking up to play with. It will give me a chance to work with whatever mics I have and learn how to use them. Next up, a good pair of monitor headphones!