View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
…I'm first interested in seeing if there is an upgrade on the mics, if there is maybe a large diaphram mic I could get that would work well with recording the guitar.
Hi RGW

The 2035 a fine mic for casual recording. If it's truly large diaphragm (which used to mean a full 1" capsule) then it will give you a better low end and it would be better for singing as well.

The ¾" (20mm) diaphragm mics are great for guitar, but often lack warmth when recording vocals.

In the $150 range, the 2035 is a reliable choice. Actually there are many choices in that price range, and given your other gear it would match up well.

The C-214 is a downsized C-414 and it comes with a 20db cut switch and low-frequency cut as well. I'm not sure it's worth the extra $200 over the 2035 (I own an AKG-414).

I've never used a Sennheiser in that price range which would do any better. Sennheiser WERE the industry standard years ago, but they are carving their notch in the mid-to-upper end of prosumer video shotgun mics. For music I still prefer AKG, AT, Neumann or Rode (who also dabbles heavily in the video industry).

If I could only use a single mic, it would be a large diaphragm mic from a reliable company because of more options when fitting it different situations.

Hope this adds to the discussion. Everyone wants maximum quality with low cost, so there are trade offs. I'm pretty sure in the $150 category your choice would be a good one. Hope you have a great time exploring new options.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-11-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: ADDED A THOUGHT