View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protosphere View Post
pleased? I am ecstatic, hence my passion.

What didn't you like about the tone, sustenance, and volume that so many throw it on for even without a bellied top? I strongly disagree here in that it transformed my seagull 12 string and a Fender AG10 into supernatural instruments in tone, volume, and profoundly low action that can be played for literally hours effortlessly. The sound blew me away. I am surprised. These are not Martins or Tayors but sound exponentially better tp be than the several thousand ones off the rack, waaaay too tinny.

Martins are well built but when new they sound tinny to me, until they age 50 years. This is what the JLD is said to do, add 50 years to the sound. Even Taylor sounds tinny, albeit not as bad as Martin where a 500 buck Seagull sounds exponentially better than a 2,000 buck Taylor or Martin. Now the 4,000 buck bulletproof Martin had the best tone but still couldn't rival the cheaper 500 buck Seagull but throwing a JLD into that baby would make it supernatural i would imagine, and that is exactly what I would do to preserve the guitar while adding volume, tone, and sustenance. Even though its over a 4 grand instrument I would be nervously drilling to add the JLD.

I am curious and love to be enlightened in exactly what sound qualities are not for you to claim that "They change the tone tremendously" when its more volume and sustenance bringing out the tone that can be easily subdued or amplified, even if it didn't need correction prevented bellying forever that time inevitably forces with 200+ lbs string tension.

Guitars are not forever without this system I guess is my argument, let alone the sound and corrective or preventative action distortion. Like I said, I am surprised they are not putting them in all guitars... yet. =)

Even though I strongly disagree, I respect your opinion as you seem very knowledgeable in this area and I am a tad surprised you found the tremendous change the tone undesirable when it is like adding 50 years to the sound of a guitar. This little device blew me away, for many reasons, action first most and sound an equal second. The amplification of the lows, midranges and highs with such sustenance and volume must be heard to be believed I thought. One could play softer too if they wanted less volume with still beyond incredible sound in my view.

I will research to try and find where I read Martin uses them to repair their bellied tops too. Fixed and sounding waaaay better, why wouldn't they. I'd even do it to a top model brand new one although most people might think this was absolutely nuts to do on something of that value.
If this is a shill technique, it would not be particularly effective on me. To ascribe magical powers and "do it all" attributes to any product renders it to the Sunday morning infomercial category. For the Doctor to help return an instrument closer to its original state (along with other repair techniques), isn't that asking enough? As for me, I found that my $$$ hand built guitar had evidence of a Bridge Doctor at one time (along with reglued braces). I was a little bit bummed, but then again, the fix worked and I'm happy for that. I wouldn't have added a Brige Doctor to make the guitar "mo better" though. That's just me, however.