View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokiehat View Post
1) you don't measure sound in 'pounds'.

2) The whole point of near field monitoring is to reduce undesirable influence of the room on the sound you hear from the speakers. If you listen 3 feet away from your head, you hear less room reflection/reverberation. If you sit back a couple more meters (assuming your room is even that big) then you start to catch flutter echos and reverb unless the room has very controlled acoustics.

In practice there are many other things to think about but the term comes from the recording industry practise of putting small speakers on the meter bridge to simulate a point source that is within the 'near field' of the sound board operator (i.e. at or just beyond arm's reach when leaning over your desk).

3) You don't ever want to listen at 'killer levels' because you will destroy your ears.

4) If you destroy an amp you gotta replace it. It doesn't matter if you have actives or passives. If you have a spare amp lying around matched to your speakers then whats the difference with having spare active monitors lying around if you destroy your actives? More particularly, why are you blowing speakers and killing amps in the first place if you are driving them at reasonable listening levels?
Just for jokes, try a Google search on "Rick Ruskin" - or just click on the link in his signature.

I'm pretty sure he knows what "near field" means.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog