View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Play a bunch, and for more than 30 minutes. Don't assume that you'll 'love' Collings based on their (well deserved) reputation. There's an X-factor that you just can't know until it's in your hands.

I played Martin guitars for many years, before and after the following story, and I love them all. I don't think I've ever played a Martin I didn't like. I decided that it was time for me to get a one-and-done high-end boutique guitar in the Martin style so I headed to The Music Emporium to test drive a few brands. I was pretty convinced that either a Bourgeois or if not then definitely a Collings would be my Zen.

I played several Bourgeois guitars and while great sounding and builds, nothing spoke to me. Then I went to Collings - exact same thing. Played a bunch of other guitars and finally picked up a Santa Cruz and BOOM! It didn't so much speak to me as serenade me with it's siren song. I played them for years along with many a Martin.

The lesson is don't think that you'll like Collings and it will be your jam until you've spent some them with a few. The good news is that of all the top tier boutique builders, Collings seem to hold its value the best.

As to the comment earlier that a Froggy Bottom will talk you out of the Collings (or anything else) in my experience this is true. While at that trip to TME, I picked up a used Froggy H14 in something over Brazilian. It was a WOW moment. It talked me out of any guitar I played that day. Then the price tag talked me out of the Froggy!