View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Having said all that, I've never encountered the kind of Holy Grail emphasis you seem to be finding. Mids matter, but in practical terms no more than a dozen other variables.
The articles I read just seemed to put a ton of emphasis on the mid. As I am quickly learning, it is probably good, but just another important spoke in the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
That mid control gives the ability to add or reduce mid-range presence in your sound. It is very effective on louder gigs where you have trouble hearing your guitar in the mix. Often, a little increase in the mid's can make the sound cut through better than increasing the over all volume.

Fender amps with only bass and treble controls were/are usually lower priced models. They can work just about as well, you just need to compensate by using both the treble and bass control to affect the mid-range.

In such cases you want to increase the mid's a bit, just reduce both the treble and bass controls, and raise the volume to compensate for the loss. To reduce the mid's a bit, raise the bass and treble and lower the volume.

Its not really that big of a deal though, just keep tweaking until you get the sound you want.
I am getting a much clearer picture around this. This has been my reluctance around dipping in the electric guitar pool because it seems so complicated (as compared to an acoustic). But, I ain't getting any younger (comin' up on 60) so it's time to buckle in and get going.