View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 09:26 PM

Default New Squareneck Day

A couple of weeks ago, I sliced off a substantial bit of my left index finger while working with a utility knife (ouch!). Fortunately, it's gradually healing, but I've been going crazy not being able to pick up my guitars. I'm at least a few weeks away from being able to start playing again, so I figured this was as good a time as any to give a square neck resonator a try.

This is my new Gretsch Bobtail G9230.

Since it's in open G, and I play quite a few finger style pieces in that tuning, I figured I would have an easy time figuring it out, but it became immediately apparent that I sound more like I'm torturing a bag of cats than playing a dobro. I've signed up with an online lesson site, so we'll see how that goes!

Aside from the aforementioned cats, the instrument sounds and looks great. I'm pretty impressed with it. I had seen reviews that said the Fishman Nashville pickup built into it was awful, but I think it sounds pleasingly natural through my Loudbox Mini (not that any one in my house has a burning desire to hear it amplified, at the moment). Fit and finish is real nice. Never having seen a square neck up close before, I was pretty surprised at just how high off the neck the strings actually are, and had to cut a new slot into my multi-guitar stand to fit it (I couldn't get it sit comfortably in a String Swing hanger).