View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 10:35 AM

I play round neck. I have a Goldtone spider bridge (wood body) and a National M-1 wooden tri-cone. I have had 3 pickups in the Goldtone and zero in the National. ( both Lace models and a K and K). None of them come close to producing the sound of the resonator. The tri-cone p/u's are very expensive and because of the results in the Goldtone, I am not even going to try one. I have been playing with different mic's. I really believe that is the way to go for best enhancement of that reso sound.
I have been reading what Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch did years ago. They completely got away from p/u's and went to SM57's. They said in an article that because QC on SM57 is not the best, each one has different nuances from the other. They carry , I don't know 10 or so, different ones with them and sound test them for different venues. Volume control is simply closer or farther away. I know this isn't the answer for everyone but it is simple, effective and inexpensive. Plus, I can't argue with those two....
( I realize Dave and Gillian don't play a reso, but Dave's guitar has certain reso characteristics and it is harder to achieve good amplification than a flattop)

Last edited by MartyGraw; 09-23-2015 at 11:36 AM.