Thread: Neck Joints
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
When I was following contemporary "state of the art" industrial woodworking (free magazine for many years) I learned that threaded fasteners WILL eventually back themselves out in a stressed vibrating application, which sure sounds like a guitar to me . . . Oh, we're talking about a Taylor . . .

I have been called upon a few times to tighten loose bolt-on necks, but it may not be the rule. While I am a dovetail guy and have no intention of changing, I do not mind what others choose to do. A bolt on may or may not be as good as an HHG dovetail, but I am as certain as I am of anything that it is not better where aesthetics and performance are concerned.
These sentences made me smile, thank you for sharing your experiences in an entertaining, light-manner. I enjoy reading your very knowledgeable posts.

I find it curious that people who think IKEA furniture inferior for their bolt on joints suddenly gush over their bolt on necks when they find out that's what their Taylor guitar has.

A well made dovetail joint will last many decades or more, wheres bolted on pieces of wood that are regularly handled (i.e. a guitar) will need occasional adjustments

I'm an unmet friend of the honest, hardworking, knowledgeable guitar builder.