View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have the OC3 which I got to add a doubled bass an octave down for the low notes. I’ve played with it practicing but never used it live because it always sounds a little sloppy to me. As much as I try to set the cutoff note to a reasonable split, there are always bass notes above it and chord tones below it. Plus, I notice a little drop in fidelity even when it is in bypass. It’s way cool...but I don’t like it enough to use it.
Yeah, I had similar issues. It always had an odd glitchy sound and often had tracking issues. I believe a lot of it has to do with what kind of pickup you are using (I think it works best with a mag pickup). Some folks seems to use it effectively in live performance. I chose to go the route of have a small 2-string pickup under the E and A strings and running that into the Pitchfork pedal.

Petteri Sariola uses the OC-3 and has a HUGE live sound. He used to run a SD Magmic into it (with no mic blended in) and achieved very good results. Now I believe he is using a Dimarzio mag. He uses a compressor and a rather extreme EQ curve to get it to sound as good as it does. Here is a clip where it is very audible. The bass comes in around :30.

Here is his rig...

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Last edited by wood nacho; 01-10-2019 at 05:20 PM.