View Single Post
Old 08-24-2022, 07:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

The clock is ticking, faster and faster.... Joel an I are scurrying around like cockroaches in the kitchen when someone turns on the lights at 3:00 AM...
Well, maybe not like that, but more like the proverbial chickens, running around with their heads chopped off. Whatever. We are getting stuff DONE!

We're going to do a dry run on loading up my car with guitars and luggage this weekend. We need to see how much we can fit. My car (a 2018 Hyundai Sante Fe) has a lot of cargo space; but between Joel and me, we have at least eight guitars coming with us. If there's a tiny bit of space left, and Joel doesn't have to ride on the car roof, I'm going to try to squeeze in ONE more. THIS one:

This is an ES-75 Siren guitar, my smallest model, and the Sister of the Falcon, which is the cutaway version. I actually brought this guitar to B.I.G. last year, though I really had to hurry to get it strung up on time, and in my opinion, it wasn't really ready for showtime yet. There were some issues with the finish, and I felt the tone of it was a bit too strident and fundamental.

I had experimented on this guitar by making my usual X-Fan pattern, but using very slender, tall braces. It did sound pretty good, and Dustin Furlow seemed to take a shine to it at the BIG show; but to my ears, it seemed like the top needed some loosening up, to bring out more bass, and more color in the tone. So I brought it home, and decided to do a partial refinish on it; and also to attempt to re-voice it.

So, one night, I sat on my couch, and reached into the sound hole with stub chisels, a Japanese violin knife, and sanding sticks, and carefully carved and shaped the knife-edge tops of the fan braces and the "lucky seven" braces down to a lower, lighter profile. It was actually pretty easy to do, because I put a head lamp inside the guitar, and I could see what I was doing through the two sound ports on the bass side.

When I got the refinishing work done, and strung it up, WOW, I mean Eureka! The exact effect I was hoping for had occurred. The Siren now sounds rich, and big, and complex, and very even across the spectrum. It sounds like at least a double-0, if not bigger. I think it's my newest hot crush! The Siren is a joy to play.

The top is a Mastergrade specimen of German Spruce; the Back and sides are Brazilian Rosewood, and bindings and other trim are super-flamey Pyinma. The scale length is 24.5", and I currently have it strung with light gauge strings, tuned to DADGAD. It plays like a dream. This little guitar is now 100% ready for showtime. I sure hope it fits in my car. I'd love for you guys who are coming to the B.I.G. to play it and tell me what you think.

I love my job!
I hope to see you in New Braunfels, a little over a week from now. It's not too late to get in on the fun...
Thanks for looking...

Last edited by theEdwinson; 08-24-2022 at 08:49 PM.