View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
What sort of cranks would that be? There's a wide range of parts that will fit, and the work is pretty simple and quick if you have the right tools.

For rolling resistance, tyres are one big thing, and suitable pressure is essential.

You mentioned seat height.
Appropriate leg extension is the measure there. I get into the ballpark like this:
- pedal the bike with my heels on the pedals
- raise seat until I can barely do it withOUT rocking my hips
- if I need to rock my hips to pedal, lower the seat.
-> now, when I pedal correctly with the ball of the foot on the pedal. I have a little bend left in my knee, at the bottom of the stroke.
Not sure, but I feel that the bare minimum would be a new chain and a a front triple sprocket with maybe a new front deraileur. The rear is the original 9 sprocket with a relatively new deraileur.

As for the pedals, I have cages on the OEM metal clips. I don't do basic nor do I do clips. One of my gripes is the plastic pedals on the Marlin 6. My 4900 came with steel; I view plastic pedals as earmarks of a toy bicycle with inferior quality. I'm done with Schwinns and Huffies.

Regarding technique, during long rides I try to equate effort between both legs with simultaneous effort on the up and down strokes. I don't think I rock my hips but could try to drop the saddle some.

A new seat is definitely in order though - regardless of what bike. Numbness was an issue on long rides despite wearing biker shorts. I'm still riding the stock saddle and from what I see Trek's basic saddles are you-know-what busters. I'll be looking for the slimmest gel saddle I can find that still allows me to slide back on downhills; it's pretty hilly here even on western Pennsylvania notoriously cracked and pitted roadways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
That's way too much. Any of a plenty fine crank, bottom bracket and/or chainrings should be inexpensive for that bike.

You should also be able to find hardly used bikes like it for very little. For MTBs, 26 inch wheel bikes are more toward you have to pay someone to take it than should be paying to buy one. That might sound harsh but that's the way the market for them happens to be unless the 26r is a niche like a dirt jumper or good kids bike.
I agree. The rear deraileur is nearly new so I'm getting a second opinion. My gripes are mostly with the action of the front deraileur. I'm having a hard time engaging the smallest front sprocket if the rear is set to the larger sprockets; I can get to the top gears but if I downshift on the rear while in the smallest front sprocket the deraileur wants to put me on the middle front sprocket. I was told by two different shops that the front deraileur was worn so it was hard to adjust properly.

Truth be told, I found the larger frame and 29" wheels to be preferable so an upgrade in basic geometry of whatever I ride is definitely in order - though it's not likely to happen this year.

Based on what I've learned about guitars here and the weird looks I get by being demanding while "rocking the dad bod" when I walk into bike stores, going used may definitely be an option. Packrats like me who run their possessions into the ground seem to be a minority and I know all too well about depreciation.

Long story short, I've been riding bikes since I was 6 and it's been my primary means of fitness since I was 14 but I got out of practice when we had kids and they're finally getting old enough where we actually need to get out of the house for something besides trips to the mall or grocery store. Getting my wife on a bicycle is a major accomplishment that I was hoping would be something we could do together. She's competitive and controlling but I can still outride her. The prospect of getting one of my sons involved adds another degree of excitement. It's been something I've done for fitness since I was 14 years old and I'm not looking to downgrade. This is as much for my mental health as it is for my physical health. Lords knows we could all be working on both of those.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to be poring over used listings in my area. Since warranty won't be an option what other options are there in a cross country bicycle with 19.5" frame and 29" tires?