View Single Post
Old 12-06-2022, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Yeah, sometimes I wonder why people don't consider this more when purchasing a high ticket item like a car or truck.
Take EV truck Rivian:

Bed size: 54", Cargo Volume: 11.3 cu ft. Price: $70K+
What the ??? What am I missing?
Why would anyone buy this other than for show? Add to that the manufacturing woes that startups often don't consider fully when they are just raising capital and making big promises.
The typical US pickup has a bed of 80" and 60 cu.ft of cargo volume.
This truck makes no sense, imo, for anyone who uses their trucks for utility purposes. These are not replacements for current gas powered models.
I'm actually a fan of EVs generally speaking, and I hope the technology keeps on advancing, but we have a long way to go in terms of making a feel good environmental purchase if you look at all the manufacturing steps along the way beyond just the lack of a tail pipe on the end product.
It's a tough time to be needing a truck. I'm glad I don't do a lot of traveling because my vehicles are getting very old.

I would say it all depends on exactly what "utility" one is talking about or likely to use

Following your line of thought one could argue 'It makes no sense to buy a pickup with a 77" or 80" inch bed when an 8 ft bed costs no more and gives one max utility (example :: you can actually haul a stack of 4 by 8 plywood inside the bed)

While I would not buy a "pickup with a 54" bed I would also not buy one with a 77" or 80" and yet the If I remember correctly the short bed 5' 6" is the single most popular selling full size pick ---- Go figure

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-06-2022 at 03:48 PM.