View Single Post
Old 12-06-2022, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I predict manufacturing will remain a challenge for Tesla. That requires a whole lot of expertise and experience and is illustrated by Tesla, Rivian, other startups and the Lordstown story.
Yeah, sometimes I wonder why people don't consider this more when purchasing a high ticket item like a car or truck.
Take EV truck Rivian:

Bed size: 54", Cargo Volume: 11.3 cu ft. Price: $70K+
What the ??? What am I missing?
Why would anyone buy this other than for show? Add to that the manufacturing woes that startups often don't consider fully when they are just raising capital and making big promises.
The typical US pickup has a bed of 80" and 60 cu.ft of cargo volume.
This truck makes no sense, imo, for anyone who uses their trucks for utility purposes. These are not replacements for current gas powered models.
I'm actually a fan of EVs generally speaking, and I hope the technology keeps on advancing, but we have a long way to go in terms of making a feel good environmental purchase if you look at all the manufacturing steps along the way beyond just the lack of a tail pipe on the end product.
It's a tough time to be needing a truck. I'm glad I don't do a lot of traveling because my vehicles are getting very old.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann