View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I'm sure we all have different ideas of which wood a Sable sounds like....I always thought that when someone said it sounds like a wood guitar they meant (or I meant) that the tone is balanced across the strings and the guitar has a nice mellow resonance like a good wood guitar. But I'll bite, to me my Sable most closely resembles a Mahogany guitar. Sweet, mellow and resonant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
So I’ll instead say that, to my ears, the Sable sounds like a good OM. Which makes sense because the body dimensions are very close to an OM. 4” deep, 15” lower bout. Length is slightly longer than a Martin OM if I recall. It’s a 25.5” scale, so when set up with medium strings it’s got that snap too. What brand of OM, and whether a Hog or Rosewood back, or what top of spruce and top wood, will leave those opinions to somebody with more refined ears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Nailing down the specific wood might be difficult - because of the incredible sustain, it reminds me of rosewood back and sides with a very wet sound. But for me the Sable also smooths out your attack and articulation like good mahogany topped guitars do. It is a unique combination of tone that I have not found in any wood guitar. I think it sounds more woody because some other CF guitars I’ve played had a more mid-forward EQ that sounds unlike any wood guitar - the Sable does not exhibit that mid-forward EQ.
Thanks folks. These three responses give me some image of what to expect. Got two votes for a hog top, though one maybe with rosewood back and sides, in an OM configuration. The OM thing I guess I sort of surmised, since it's that body size with a full scale. But the idea of a mahogany sound with the sustain of rosewood sounds pretty appealing to me. I'd love to try one someday.

I have two Martins in the 00 / 000 size, one with adirondak over mahogany, the other with sitka over rosewood. I love 'em both, but they're VERY different sounding guitars to me. The rosewood guitar sounds like what it is, a smaller, less bass prominent version of the D28 I grew up playing. The mahogany based guitar sounds so much drier and funkier, much less lush than the rosewood guitar.

I'm being tormented by humidity again at the moment (high, not low, and I find high harder to deal with), which always makes a young man's mind turn toward carbon fiber. Well, I'm not a young man, but it happens anyway. And the Sable is really intriguing because of it's soft-V neck (part of the reason I own the two Martins I do is because they both have Mod-V necks) and because of the comments I've heard of it being the "woodiest" sounding of carbon fiber guitars. Which is why I asked the question of WHICH "woodiest" sound. So this is helpful.

But I honestly can't see buying one because I don't want a third acoustic so it would have to replace one of what I have and I don't think I could stand to part with either of them. If I got a lot of input that it sounded much like a rosewood guitar or it sounded much like a mahogany guitar (either with a spruce top), there's an outside chance it could replace one of what I've got. But it sounds like it would be a third voice, maybe a hybrid of the two I've got in some ways. And I don't see adding a third one happening, for financial, space, and mental space reasons.

But I still hope to get to play one someday... Thanks for all of the input...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 08-04-2021 at 03:54 PM.