View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 05:05 PM

Default Intonation problem resolved, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
No problem and I agree sending it back is the right thing to do. Emeralds customer service is simply amazing. I'm sure they will fix everything up for you. It does suck that you'll be without the guitar for a bit but should be worth it in the end. Keep us posted on how it works out.
So, I don't what happened, but the intonation problem has resolved itself. I brought the guitar with me to the Caribbean for a couple of months, and the intonation problem persisted, right up 'til about a month ago when, one day, it was fine! Go figure.
I wanted a higher action, though, so I took one of the saddles Emerald sent me and sanded it to the desired height and the intonation is spot on again. Yay! I don't know what's different now, but I'm glad to have solid intonation on this guitar. Do CF guitars "settle" somehow?

Anyway, that's resolved, but...
in the process of checking everything out on the guit, I discovered that the machine heads for the high E and the B strings were not sitting flush to the back of the headstock- I noticed light shining through there one day! So, I took off the two strings, loosened up the tuners and reseated them. Now they're flush like the other 4.

I also noticed that the metal on my 10th fret bar has a rather deep pit in it--right at the fretboard line, on the bridge side,. I can't detect that it's affecting the tone and it doesn't bother my playing at all (i.e. I can't feel it), so, if Emerald had an authorized repair center in the states, I'd bring it there, but I don't know that I want to ship it all the way back to Ireland to get this fixed.

I do like the guitar, and, overall, I give it a B/B+, since it now seems like it's dialed in--except for the pitted fret. I have to admit, though, I am a bit irked at the situation. Between that fret and the machine heads' sloppy installation, the guitar should never have left the factory. Especially for the $$$$.
But, thanks you all for your input here, I appreciate it!