View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Finish Repair Advice

I have a new build on an Indian Rosewood L-00. The finish is nitro gloss leveled and brought up to a semi gloss using micro mesh stopping at 3200. While inspecting after completion I noticed some thin areas of lacquer on the binding. To these I applied additional layers of nitro brushing on with cotton swabs and re-sanding.

My problem is, while applying nitro to the binding, an errant drop landed on the back of the guitar. I did not notice this for about 5 minutes and it had partially dried by that point. I decided it was best to leave it and deal with it when it had dried completely. After letting it sit a couple days I re-sanded with micro mesh again up to 3200. The finish came out just fine except for a small fish eye where the drop landed and likely melted into the layers below. It can only be seen in the right light reflection so I can't get good pics. You cannot feel it. Unfortunately, its all I see when I look at the guitar.

I am looking for advice on how to deal with this. If left to my own devices, I would think my options are:

1. Brush more lacquer over the spot with a cotton swab hoping it would melt into the spot and re-sand again.

2. Re-sand with micro mesh 2400 and lower the finish to satin instead of the current semi gloss hoping it will be unnoticeable at that point.

3. Tape off the area and completely sand the spot gone and spot refinish the area.

Any help and advice anyone experienced with this is more than welcome!

Thanks in advance!

JohnnyG