View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 04:10 AM

Default ISO: Songs to help learn strumming

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. I've been playing guitar for about 18 months now – grabbing time here and there after work as a way to relax. I get roughly weekly lessons from a local musician and he has helped me make a lot of progress. I've gone through the Hal Leonard Guitar Method books (1-3) and learned a number of other songs from tab/music off the Internet.

I've learned a few fingerstyle songs (Blackbird, Freight Train, Dust in the Wind, Candy Man, Stag O' Lee, Pacing the Cage, Wondering Where the Lions Are) and a couple of strumming songs (Personal Jesus and Hard Days Night among others). I can play these relatively well with some awkward moments – I still have trouble consistently doing the Am/G chord in Dust in the Wind and my timing is a bit off in parts of Candy Man.

I think I'm reaching the point where I've got a good start on the basics of the guitar, but I need to work on my strumming (flatpicking?) skills. What are some good songs for me to try to learn to help develop my strumming skills?

My guitar instructor is great, but my work schedule and his gig schedule are conspiring to limit our lessons over the next couple of months.