View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 10:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Yeah. And not to mention that endgraft and rosette and bridge, okay all of it. Well done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
The magnetic trapdoor is brilliant. The grommet trick is pretty slick too. Coulda used that yesterday...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice, very nice.
Thanks everyone!

For the past 15 years I've always done my own finishing and essentially only ever french polished (one or two with oiled back/sides and sprayed one guitar while apprenticing with Sergei). I love the process/look/sound of a french polished guitar but after seeing some of the results my builder friends were getting with UV Poly I decided to expand my horizons and shipped this one out to the fine folks at Vancouver Guitar Finishing. One of the big motivating factors was the durability -- bringing a french polished guitar to a show can be pretty nerve-wracking. Suffice it to say I'm very happy with the results! The guitar looks killer and it feels wonderful to hand it over to someone at a show without the onslaught of warnings and caveats about being careful touching the finish. There's no chance I'll ever stop french polishing, but it I'm happy to be able to offer a more durable option or some combination of sprayed and polished.

And here it is all done!

I finished the neck with an oil/wax (Osmo) that I've been using the past few years. It feels amazing and is incredibly smooth and fast.

I love this little guitar and will be sad to see it go. Even after all these years it still surprises me how much power and depth you can get out of a smaller body size. The plan is to bring this one to it's final show of the year in Quebec City at the beginning of November and then it's looking for a home! (though if anyone wants to lay claim to it beforehand and send me into a scramble the next couple weeks I'm happy to do it!)
instagram