View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
How are you at playing just the melody - not Carter style pick & strum - just single note melody? Can you get through that without mistakes reliably?

I haven’t tried that. That might be a good to try. But the thing is, I do have the pieces memorized but I may need to make a more conscious effort to be aware of where I am in the piece and having some mental association to what I should be doing in that portion of the piece. And that may well come after enough repetition.

Up until about a week ago I was solely practicing these pieces to the point where my family was getting sick of it, like 2 hour sessions where these were all that I was playing. Someone said that earlier too... that it may take sickening amount of repetition. But I think there is a point of diminishing return when you practice something too much in one sitting.

Something else that was said earlier... that your brain learns in between the practice sessions, while your brain rests. I think there is a lot of merit to this. So what I’ve been doing is limiting the amount of time I spend on one thing and just doing few run throughs at moderate speed. And leaving it at that and just moving on to another piece I am learning.

And hoping this kind of set routine each day will build up whatever my brain needs to learn between each practice session.