View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 PM

I've kept the first guitar I ever bought, a very low-end nylon string near the very end of 1974. At this point the only reason I have it sentimental value, which will mean nothing to anyone else.

It had been in it's cardboard case for over a decade when I took it out last month and decided to I had to revisit it at least one more time. What I did was recorded the acoustic guitar part for this piece:

https://frankhudson.org/2017/07/14/o...p-to-gallipoli

Even though I recalled how big the neck was, it was quite a shock to actually play it again. "Baseball bat" doesn't even begin to describe the girth.

The first acoustic 6 string steel-string I bought was a small rosewood/spruce guitar with Maya branding on the headstock that I got at the Podium in Minneapolis. I know nothing about the brand. It was made in Japan and though the top is solid, I think the back and sides are laminated, but it very much has that rosewood sound. I've played that one more recently, and gigged with it back in the 20th Century, but it too has spent most of it's time stored in a case lately. While I had it out, I decided to use it one more time for a recording as well:

https://frankhudson.org/2017/08/03/t...rval-version-1

Here the shock was in the opposite direction. I couldn't believe that I once played on this tiny neck. It's very narrow at the nut and shallow too. I measured the nut at a 42.3 mm, (1.66 inch) which doesn't seem all that narrow as I write it, but it did feel narrow with old fingers whose distal joints don't like to bend like they used to. It was a bit of a challenge to finger the part for the above piece cleanly as I'd have liked.

Neither guitar serves a purpose for me now, and I feel the need to start clearing stuff out at my age. The nylon string would difficult to even give away, and with the little rosewood/spruce guitar I suspect I'll need to find a private buyer as I have my doubts any store will take it in.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....