View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
Here are a few other Pop/Rock songs in 6/8 that may help you.

Lights- Journey
We Are The Champions- Queen
How Can Yon Mend a Broken Heart - Bee Gees

Dazed and Confused- Led Zeppelin
Norwegian Wood- The Beatles
Deja Vu (beginning) CSN
Norwegian Wood is debatable.
I agree with you it's 6/8, but there's actually not a lot of differentiation between the two sets of triplets, and it could easily be written as pairs of 3/4 bars. There are also cross-rhythms within each set of 3, which are common in 3/4 time.

I just googled sheet music for it, and the first four I looked at included two in 12/8, one in 6/8 and one in 3/4!

Anyway, here's a few more in 6/8 (with reasonable confidence!) should anyone want more:

Animals - House of the Rising Sun
Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah
Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin
Elvis Presley - I Can't Help Falling in Love With You
Coldplay - Shiver
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica - Tuesday's Gone

For 12/8, there's:
Michael Jackson - The Way You Make Me Feel
Stevie Wonder - Master Blaster

A debatable one is REM's Everybody Hurts, where the guitar patterns suggest 6/8, but the harmonic rhythm suggests 12/8 (sheet music in both can be found).
I've seen both Hallelujah and Nights in White Satin written in 12/8 occasionally, but their harmonic rhythm strongly suggests 6/8, and the majority of publications have them in 6/8.

IOW, there are often quite valid disagreements about 6/8 and 12/8, depending (apparently) on how different transcribers like to count the beats (in 2 or in 4). It's subjective, therefore, not objective.
In jazz, "Afro-Cuban 6/8" often consists of a clave rhythm over two bars, so that riffs sound like one bar of 12/8. In such cases, 6/8 just makes it easier to read and feel.

Last edited by JonPR; 11-21-2018 at 04:42 AM.