View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Default Botched the first half of a bridge re-glue. Help!

I may be over exaggerating (or maybe not) in the title. So I noticed that the bridge on my Seagull was lifting and I decided that this was a good opportunity to attempt my first bridge removal/reglue. I spent about 25 minutes removing the bridge, constantly using an iron to heat the bridge and my drywall knives. It felt like the removal was going smoothly until the bridge actually came off. I didn't feel like I was forcing it, but apparently I was. The bridge came off with a whole lot if cedar attached to the bottom. Looks like I pryed a layer of wood off the top rather than break the glue joint over the majority of the bridge. I'm wondering how you guys think I should proceed to avoid trashing the guitar. My plan is to proceed as normal-scrape away the wood/glue from the bottom of the bridge and then scrape a (mostly) even surface into the guitar top prior to gluing. This will probably require removing a little more wood the planned from the top, but I think that with a little over-scraping, I might be able to have a good gluing surface with only a few small chips/gouges. That being said, I'm concerned that I might have completely fudged this bridge job. What do you guys think I could do to rectify this botched removal?

Last edited by Chicago; 04-08-2017 at 09:45 PM.