View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Hi everyone,

Another comparison from me in a never-ending quest for a better live sound.
In this test I asked myself a question, what the benefits are of using the Tonedexter in comparison to something as simple (and unbelievably cheap) as Behringer ADI21 (but any other preamp with some EQ would do).
I was interested in a real-life performance of these two units rather than a studio, straight to an audio interface recording.

So here is what I've done: My Gibson Hummingbird K&K pure mini equipped guitar was plugged into one of the preamps (Tonedexter or Behringer), then into a 10inch active speaker and this sound was recorded through a microphone. To make sure that the acoustic sound of the guitar doesn't bleed into the recording I played the guitar in a different room from where all the equipment was set up. There is no chance you can hear the acoustic sound in the audio clip, just what went through the speaker.

The settings of the preamps: on the Tonedexter I selected my best sounding wavemap with character set at 0 and used Bass control to roll off some low frequencies. On the Behringer ADI21 I tweaked the EQ to get the best sound.
There is no other processing other than some reverb (the same for both preamps) as this would be realistic in a live scenario.

Firstly, can you tell which soundclip is the Tonedexter which one is the ADI21?
Which sound do you like better? Which one do you think would work better at a gig?

The second preamp starts at 1:15
The second set of samples is the Tonedexter. Although the second set sounds more acoustic my hunch is that the K&K will cut through more in a live performance unless you're playing a quiet gig in a small room.