View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
So the way this works is pieces of gear are routed to specific interface channels. The advantage is that to use any of that gear during a mix, I don't have to physically patch it in; I can instead simply employ an insert point within ProTools and the gear is accessed. The "normal" setting on the patchbay creates the connection for me.

Now that I've grasped this to some degree, I can see how it's a smart way to wire a patchbay. I'll need far fewer patch cables and I'll spend less time patching gear in manually.

I feel like a fog has been lifted.
Hey great explanation of the what "normal " connection means for a patch bay

And the bold is actually how I run my "two" pieces of outboard gear in Pro Tools, as inserts from the I/O selection on the tracks "inserts", although as direct connections no patch bay, but does the same thing And it is very work flow friendly .........................and gets

As per below the 3U is my outboard 2 bus comp, and the M7 is my outboard reverb unit

The input page

The output page

Here I have selected the M7 reverb in the reverb aux tracks, insert section under "i/o"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-22-2020 at 09:44 AM.