View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtoy View Post
OP Update -

I believe I may be on a path to a good solution . . .

I spoke with a luthier in Wichita who said no one is really qualified in town to do that level of work. But, he did suggest checking with Mass Street Guitar in Lawrence, KS (good 'ol KU - I am a K-State grad, but desperate). Coincidentally, I had received several other independent suggestions to contact them.

Then, I got a nice PM from JKLOTZ of this board who had checked with his own luthier in Atlanta who said it cannot be made to completely disappear, but an authorized Martin Service Center could likely make it very close to new. He said Martin makes sure their service centers have exactly the right mahogany and other materials to do the best match they can on Martin guitars.

So guess who the only Martin Authorized Service Center is in the state of Kansas? Yep - Mass Street Guitars in Lawrence.

I sent a picture to them and they echoed the Atlanta luthier that they anticipate they could do a very nice repair and match. Estimate $150 and 4 weeks to $250 and 6 weeks depending on how long the staining and blending take. I will be sending the original shop the bill for sure with a before and after picture to emphasize the crap they set me home with.

For me, this is an ideal solution and I will be going that route.

I will post before and after pictures when it is done and will probably drive it up this week-end.

Thanks for everyone's input and ESPECIALLY JKLOTZ and his luthier.
Well done, all.
Very sensible man. I have no doubt in my mind that this blemish will be virtually not even noticed once the right professional gets their hands on it to fix it up the right way. It will cost, and buddy should pay every penny of that professional service to compensate for his obvious negligence in this situation...Both in what he did to damage the guitar, and in how he tried to pass it off as nothing after the fact.

Smart direction on your part. You could have chosen a more aggressive path that might have just resulted in more problems. You’re being wise and measured in your response here in my view.

The reality is that you will probably put a blemish on that guitar in the next 6 months yourself that will make the repair look absolutely perfect.

Best wishes
2019 PRS Silver Sky