View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 04:47 PM

I have none of my music up on the web, but I enjoy some/much of what I see that has been posted by others.

I particularly enjoy hearing the playing of some of the folks who post frequently on the forums here. It sort of puts their comments and opinions in perspective..... e.g., if I'm looking for advice on guitars for fingerstyle, and a person who plays the kind of music I like, and who plays it well, has opinions, those opinions might carry more weight than if they come from a person who strums or flatpicks exclusively.

Also, its just fun to see/hear the music of the folks who frequent the AGF forum - it transforms them from being user names and opinions into real people.

Hearing people's original music is cool. Hearing peoples original interpretations of other people's music is cool too.

But sometimes I think it is just fun for someone to post videos that showcase their playing ability, even if they are precisely playing someone else's arrangements. Heck, that's pretty much always going to be the case if the person is playing classical music, which more often than not is probably played exactly as it was written (but played better by some folks than by others). Sometimes its just a matter of sharing with others the excitement of "hey, I finally mastered this piece!"

However.....
I do recall a few years ago watching a bunch of YouTube videos of a whole bunch of different people playing Merlin's lovely piece called Evocacion. Some were excellent and inspiring. Some were OK. Many were painful to listen to (in part because they sounded painfully like how my playing of the piece sounded!). I went away from watching those videos not wanting to play that piece again for a while!

Last edited by wcap; 12-03-2009 at 05:36 PM.