View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 12:37 PM

I have owned a number of Goodalls. Also, I did an article for Flatpicking Magazine on Goodalls a number of years back, thus had the chance to talk with James about his guitars. The TR models are his attempt to address the, well, traditional look. The guitars are braced, etc exactly like the other models. I have a Grand Concert Goodall, which is exactly the same size as the TROM. Goodalls are a bit deeper than a Martin OM but have the same length, etc. The necks are about as comfortable as one can find. The necks aren't Taylor necks, meaning thin and electric guitar size--I realize that there are many Taylor neck varieties, but most Taylors are thinner than say the typical Martin neck

On sound, Goodalls have lush overtones. They are hard to control if one is a sloppy player. There is so much sound moving around. I use my Goodall when I am looking for a fingerstyle piece with room to breathe. On the other hand, when I play swing stuff, I never use the Goodall--too much going on. It would be a good strummer, but one with a lot going on.

I would encourage you to buy a used one. The new ones are very pricey, but worth it. If you buy a used one, say on Reverb or such, you could work a deal to play it a few days or return.

My 2cents. Jeff